Friday 26 October 2012

Secret Stitching Revealed

Hi there do you remember me?

Sorry I have been doing some worrying and some secret stitching!

I am worrying because I am in the fabulous Mouthy Stitches 2 Swap - the tote! and I have to tell you the standard is sky high!  Not a duff tote among them ....

And I didn't want to let the side down - oh no!

And I have a fabulous partner - no can't tell you who she is until she gets her parcel - but I am in awe of her work, so not much pressure there then!

So I have been worrying, prevaricating, sweating and sewing and just before the bell goes I have finished the tote and keyfob extra....I just hope she likes it but if not she can always return it to me...?


The main picture shows Carl the Cameleon - a design by Joanna at Shape Moth which you can buy here!  Not for the fainthearted with about 60 pieces in it - argh!  I'm not usually a fan of foundation piecing and I got very friendly with Mr Seam Ripper but I got there!  

I used compressed foam instead of wadding as the inner layer and did a bit of spiral FMQ to echo Carl's tail!

The reverse side is a strip pieced leaf - with the zip as the spine - broke two needles going over the end of that zip as it was designed for a coat and ended with a stopper rather than the usual fabric bits!  It opens up to a generous pocket - below right - so plenty of room!  I echo quilted the leaf in variegated green thread!  Had to get my head round doing that without stitching it to the pocket!

The extra is a keyfob in this swap and I thought a wee co-ordinating strip pieced  leaf coin purse would go well!  Believe me I was making this up as I went along - but plans don't really work for me I'm more disorganised  organic!

The outside is a bit loud!

I thought the inside should reflect a different mood so I took my Carnival templates bought from Katy and swapped the squares for HSTs and ended up with a star!  The big button hides an initial - belonging to my partner - but I can't give the game away yet ....can I?  I then used Lu Summers' porthole magic to frame my star!  

Hey presto!  one tote bag finished!  Phew!  Final deadline for posting is tomorrow!

20 comments:

  1. Very nice. I love the lizard, he looks like he is laughing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is fabulous! Certainly in the same league with other top notch sewers! I love the color combo, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing! I love Carl...and the zipped outer pocket...and the key fob - they're all magnificent!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The leaves are wonderful! I have scraps already strip pieced to try this : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Freaking hell, Nicky, there is more work in that than I put in to five projects! Your partner will be so thrilled.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have been working hard and I would say your swap partners are going to be thrilled.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like a fab tote, and that pocket is just awesome! Clever you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow, that is a LOT of pieces!! But it does look amazing

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG that is absolutely gorgeous! If your partner doesn't like it they are crazy and I am flying over to kidnap it! Love everything, the chameleon, the leaves, the zipper purse. Wow well done!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You have excelled yourself here. Amazing tote. Di x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely. Shame I think it's probably not for me, but maybe I should have a go!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yopur bag is lovely- I know it is not mine- as I have received mine today, but I would have loved this too, had it come my way! This is an amazing piece of work, and deserves to be loved! You are a star. xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! That's one aweseome tote N! Genius idea having the zipper as the leaf spine, and the cameleon is stunning! That's one lucky partner! Jxo

    ReplyDelete
  14. That tote is too cute!!!! I would love to be your partner she is one lucky lady!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think your tote is brilliant! What a lot of pieces to create Carl but oh so worth it, your partner will be thrilled to bits when they open their parcel.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a fab collection ofwork! Well done

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gorgeous tote, Nicky. I love Carl and would love to give him a good home :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sooo much work went into this, thank you so much for being my partner I love my bag :D And I'm not as talented as you make out- I can do pictures but I can sew even seam allowances for toffee :P

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wonderful work Nicky, and lucky partner. Kiss

    ReplyDelete

Hello, I'd really like to hear from you...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...